Parish Clerk for Slip End Parish Council
Part Time: 20 hours per week – working from home
Our Clerk is retiring, so we need to recruit a highly motivated and enthusiastic person to be Clerk to the Council and Responsible Finance Officer.
The successful candidate will be employed for 20 hours per week, working from home.
Working hours are 9.00am to 1.00pm, with attendance at monthly full Council evening meetings and Playing Fields meetings in Slip End required. No meetings in August.
Additional meetings may be arranged as necessary.
The role of Clerk is to ensure that the Council conducts its business properly and to provide independent, objective, and professional advice and support to Councillors. The Clerk is the main point of contact for all other authorities, contractors, suppliers and the public and plays an important role in Council meetings.
The successful candidate will need to possess great communication skills, be self-motivated and have the ability to prioritise their workload without supervision.
Training is available through Bedfordshire Association of Town & Parish Councils (BATPC) and the Society of Local Council Clerks (SLCC) and the retiring Clerk will be available to provide a handover and support in March 2023.
• Acting as impartial advisor to the Council
• Preparing agendas and minutes
• Arranging & attending Parish Council and Playing Fields monthly meetings and taking minutes
• Management and production of budget, & day to day management of accounts.
• Production of annual accounts for audit purposes
• Completion of all statutory returns as required
• Management of website & payroll
• Dealing with enquiries & correspondence from the public & other bodies
• Key contact for contractors
Our ideal candidate will have the following experience and skills:
* A good understanding of Local Council administration & legal framework
* Competent in the use of email, Microsoft Office Word & Excel
* A high degree of literacy and numeracy
* Excellent written & verbal communication skills
* Good organisational skills
* Be able to drive – use of vehicle [if not resident in Slip End]
* Live within a ten-mile radius of Slip End
Terms & Conditions include:
Starting salary of between £15,500 and £16,500 p/a
Employed for 20 hours per week
£600 Working from Home allowance
Membership of a Pension Scheme
21 days paid holiday per year plus public holidays
Closing date for applications – 20th November 2022
Interviews will be in January 2023
Start date will be 1st March 2023
If you wish to apply, please contact Peter Segal, Clerk at [email protected]
Please include your CV and a one side A4 sheet detailing why you wish to be considered for the job, and what skills you can bring. A full job description will be sent to you